SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slip from Hell...
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Talking Slip from Hell 2

Nay...I think I got you beat

My old slip was 36 feet from piling to opposing pier, with a LOA of 44' (boat plus dingy on davit) in which I had to do a 360 degree turn in the basin plus another 90 degrees to get in the slip. Not fun on a windy day, however I got pretty good at learning to maneuver my boat in tight spaces.

The slip is highlighted in red below. I would enter the basin forward; poke the bow close to the pit, then reverse to port with a strong burst, then hard to starboard with a few strong burst to swing the bow around, (sometimes another hard to port in reverse if the wind was not favorable), then forward and hard to port again to point to bow into the slip.

Backing into the basin then a simple turn to port did not work well. Coming in forward and back to starboard was not going to work either, especially with a right turning screw. It was even more fun, or crazy, in the Fall when boats decided they would tie up to be pulled for winter, at the opposing pier/bulkhead or the pump out which was located on the outside pier. It was still doable, but very tight and required someone to jump off and walk the bow in and some creative use of spring lines.

and the full view, see the catamaran!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-04-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook