SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel shape and pointing
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Keel shape and pointing

Wow, you guys are certainly committed to your racing program. How much weight did you guys remove from the keel and did you try to put it someplace? I do not think that you can take your bottom sides any faster assuming you faired, sprayed and burnished the bottom. Have you done something similar to the rudder? I have heard that some miter a ¼ inch flat on their trailing edge – but this is a speed thing and not a pointing thing.

I think you need to start looking aloft. First things first, 110* tacking angle is probably pretty normal for this mast head boat. Also, the masthead fly is measuring apparent wind angles and not the true tacking angles you are getting on the chart plotter. To bring your tacking angle in, can you re-run your T-Track so you have an 8 ½* sheeting angle on the jib? Tighter sheeting angles are what gives the fractional rigs their tighter tacking angles. After that, it is all rig tune. What is your designed rake on the mast? I’m assuming that a plumb bob should be about 5” from the ram’s horn. After that, it is all about wire tension (dial in the boat with a Loos gauge in hand). After that, it is all about driving and trimming. Most likely you are not in sync with each other on your tacks and are turning the boat much more than you should. Trimming also gets into the area of boat speed, another topic. If you need a coach, I work for beer, sandwiches, plus expenses.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook