SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do you personally get seasick?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Do you personally get seasick?

Like many people here, I have this 'dream' of casting off and circling the globe. But so far I've had limited offshore experience, and it has not been good:

I sailed from Bara de Navidad (s. mx) to San Diego on a delivery.
puked for 12 days straight. I thought maybe I got a bug in MX, & I was hoping it was not seasickness.

I made a few trips to Catalina island and didn't really get seasick, but then a couple times I did get ill at night on the mooring in light seas. Didn't feel better til I hit a dock.

Most recently I've spent a month on a 68' luxury motor Yacht on the inside passage. So far EVERY open ocean passage has put me down for the count.

I got extremely seasick very quickly on the dock at the frikken Annapolis boat show a few years ago. Though in my defense it was really rough, and REALLY weird motion.

Most recently I got sick at the dock.

So I'm getting more than a little depressed. On the one hand, the sailboats I've been on had better motion that the motorboat. But OTOH if I'm getting sick on a 68' 100 ton boat with stabilizers in 6-8' seas on a 10-20 mile stretch, how it the heck am I going to single-hand around the world?

Are any of you captains out there sailing a lot dealing with seasickness? Everybody says it goes away... um when? I've been on this trip a month.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook