SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Cruising Life, by Jim Trefethen, and Cruising Financials
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by longwaterline
A Quote From Sterling Hayden's Book, Wanderer

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest.

Waterline, I have to smile when I read that quote from Hayden. First, I loved Hayden's book, especially it's honesty. However, if you're read the book, then you should realize that very few of us would ever dream of wanting to live his life. The quote above is about not needing vast sums of money or materials to be happy, but at the same time we should realize that Hayden earned and wasted more money (in 1940s dollars, no less) than any three of us will ever earn in our lifetimes.

His book is really a revealing of a long lifetime of insecurities about his personal abilities, relationships, money, sailing skills, booze, sex, parenthood, politics, and career. It's a beautiful and candid striptease of a man's life, and you have to admit his courage when he notes that even sailing to paradise with this two children (against the divorced wife's wishes) didn't calm his inner demons and doubts. They simply went with him.

So, I like the quote, but if you know that source then you understand it's just a riff. I'd like to pretend to have more control and confidence in life, although his book is a catalog of how we all can feel at times.

Jim H

Last edited by Jim H; 10-31-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook