SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where's Your Sextant?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road
Re: Where's Your Sextant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
We continue to see people with high tech chart plotters aground on the wrong side of clearly present channel markers. So, I'll stand with you in recognizing the problem. So, what is this other answer that you are proposing when you suggest that, "technology (at the expense of actually knowing something) is not the only answer." Are you advocating a restrictive test to allow someone to operate a boat? What answer do you have in mind? I'm sure you don't mean that people should be required to learn how to use a sextant before they are allowed to use a GPS. What's the other answer?
Nope, I'm not advocating any such policies. I was only lamenting that the lack of any barrier to entry was increasing the percentage of idiots and suggesting therefore that such barriers have their benefits. If I'm advocating anything, I am advocating that everyone out there ought to have a reasonable handle on coastal navigation techniques. I'm also a firm believer that knowledge for the sake of knowing is a good thing and therefore learning celestial is a rewarding endeavor in and of itself. Nothing more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook