SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012

seabee is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get your start in sailing?

when I was 12 and we lived on a lake, 1mile X 1mile, and a plane flew over the house and it dropped a pod that looked like a torpedo. it was bolted together , so I un-bolted it and that gave me two, I cut out some ply wood and sealed it to the pods, and made a hobie type sailboat out of it . the woods gave me the mast and boom and the rest of the ply gave me the rudder, Mom sewed the sails out of some old sheets. I thought at the time that the wider the dagger board the better, and I quickly found out that I could sail like crazy down wind and had to call Dad to come get me and pull me back home . and after a few times of that Dad told me that if I wanted to sail, that I had to go to the books and figure out why I could not turn around . (dagger board only needed to be 1 foot wide not 4 ft. and after that it was all over for me, I was hooked on sailing and here we are some 50 years later and 12 sailboat later , I'm 68 now and wife and I sail a 30 ft sloop out of lake michigan , and I talked to a sailboater today that is 89 years old and I hope that will be me at that age. Seabee
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook