SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did you get your start in sailing?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012
1973 Viking 33

SloopDogg is on a distinguished road
Re: How did you get your start in sailing?

I went sailing a couple of times as a teen...totally a passenger! Loved it though!

Then quite some time later on a lake in an 18' cat boat a couple times. Got to take the helm those times shortly. Gusty as could be. Small lake, lots of coves.

Then some years again later a friend offered me an O'day 22 just to get it out of his yard. It needed everything! Got her all fixed up and the wife hired a guy from cape cod to come sail with us. He got us out for about 3 hours and said, "you should be all set." I'll head back now. We dropped him off back at the marina and went back out on our own.

I sailed on the Taunton river nearly every day after that. On my own mostly, after work. Again very gusty and lots of surprises. The wind would come howling down the streets onto the river like a tunnel...kept me on my toes and had to make lots of tacks and gibes in short order.

Then moved out to Mt. hope bay and then out to Narragansett bay and now I've just purchases a 1973 Viling 33 that needed everything! I should have her in this month I hope! I'm on Buzzards bay now. A whole new experience awaits!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook