SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Best boat for up the Potomac?

8K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  SVCarolena 
#1 ·
I went out for the first time the other day with Rich (BubbleheadMd) and had a blast. Now I am planning to sign up for a class at the belle haven marina in Alexandria. I am keeping my eyes open for a good boat, but am not totally sure what is best.

From what I have read it seems the best option would be a low draft (3'?) Shoal keel/centerboard. Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
Others will reply who have vastly more knowledge than I do, but as a fellow sailing newbie I just went through this process myself. I found a Morgan 22 and I love it. With the swing keel up, I draw two feet of water. The swing up centerboard contains no ballast, so you've still got all 1400 lbs of lead ballast right where it's going to be, keel up or down.

The Morgan 22 is a lot of boat for 22 feet. When I bought mine I sailed it 60 miles down the Florida gulf coast, keeping about three miles offshore to make the best time. We had 3-5ft swell and moderate chop the whole way and still managed to average about 5 knots. Early in the day the power boats were out in full force, but when the wind and swell picked up they ran for cover. They were getting beat up really bad while we were rolling along on our lazy way loving it. We were trying to hold course as close as we could to cover the most distance, not squeeze as much speed as possible. I couldn't be happier. She heels over a bit and then stiffens right up.

Every inch of this boat is usable space. It really does not feel like a 22. This is no dinghy. She's as rock steady as a tug but she's fast as hell. And if you look around, the price is right. You can pick them up in great shape for a few grand.

#8 ·
Will you be trailering it or putting it in a marina or mooring. If you can go up to 25 ft it opens up a lot more possibilities, especially if you want to overnight. Course the expense and ease of setting up increases also.

dave

#9 ·
I'd rent a slip. I'm looking in the range of 22-25. I'm willing to go 26, but it would be nice to remain in the cheapest per ft bracket (which is anything up to and including 25') at the local marina. I think the absolute biggest I'd go was 27. It would have to be a killer deal for a 26-27 to be the choice honestly.

#12 · (Edited)
He is WAY up the Potomac so all he has, is a skinny, winding channel flanked by very shallow waters. I'm not sure how much commercial traffic he'll be dodging, so I figured swing keel/centerboard/shoal draft was really important to keep him from getting stuck when he dodges outside the channel.
Also, very light breezes up there, so something light that doesn't take a lot of breeze to get moving.
Good advice.- I would look like he has for a cheap starter boat like the 22 Morgan or Catalina with a c/b. The roominess of the 25 Catalina is also a nice feature to advance to overnighting and will give him some of the creature comforts like a head, bunks etc.

A little more weight than 3000 lbs might also be good even with light winds, as you go further down the Potomac the winds are anything but lights at it mouth.

Will be quite a challaenge sailing in the Potomac current also. Did you give some thought to keeping it at a slip further down closer to the Bay where you would have more exploration room and less physical obstacles to overcome. Once past the WW Bridge not sure you can sail that area.

Dave
Dave

#15 · (Edited)
A little more weight than 3000 lbs might also be good even with light winds, as you go further down the Potomac the winds are anything but lights at it mouth.

Will be quite a challaenge sailing in the Potomac current also. Did you give some thought to keeping it at a slip further down closer to the Bay where you would have more exploration room and less physical obstacles to overcome. Once past the WW Bridge not sure you can sail that area.

Dave
Dave
I doubt I will be near the mouth of the Potomac anytime soon. It would be a long haul. I also wouldn't sail above the WW bridge. I mean the marina is right there, but I would be sailing down a little.
If you have a choice, keep it on the bay and look for something in the 22'-25' range. Way more options to cruise to. The lower potomac is a better place to sail.

Check in with Dangerfield island sailing club DISC. They're in your area and will probably take you out on the upper potomac. It's narrow. Only about 1/2 of the water you can actually sail in, the other stuff is only 2' deep. Makes racing there a bit of a challenge.

There are a ton of options for boats in that size range. What's your price range, and will you be trailering it to different locations?
I mean, of course I have a choice to keep it on the bay, but then I would never sail. Honestly Id rather sail in poor conditions and be able to hop on the boat everyday if I see fit than only be able to see my boat on weekends. I just want to be on the water. I don't really care about racing right now. I am sure if I go to graduate school and get my mfa then become a professor that would be an option, but until then its really not. :(

I kept a powerboat with a sailing dinghy on the Occoquan for a couple of years. I spent a winter at the Gangplank marina on Auspicious. When I was young I sailed a Cape Dory Typhoon out of Washington Sailing Mar.ree that shoal draft is good for those waters. I'm not sure what your concern is about the heavy keel of boats like the Catalina 22. You might want to explore your concerns - maintenance of the pin, cable, and winch is easy and infrequent. Regardless, you may have your reasons and you should be comfortable with your choice. I would encourage you to consider the Catalina 22 in addition to the Morgan 22 and similar boats. I do strongly advise you to avoid wing keels. Wing keels become great anchors in Potomac mud.

Either of those two boats (and many others) will provide great sailing along the upper and middle Potomac, with wonderful opportunities for adventure as far South as Colonial Beach and even Coles Point.

I sailed a Catalina 22 on the Bay for a while (as well as J/80s, J/22s, and assorted other small boats) and you'll have a great time even if you decide on an extended adventure down the River and into the Bay.

My suggestions are along the lines of Bubblehead. Do look at the Catalina 22 and 25. You have to haul ANY centerboard or swing keel boat before purchase to check for growth in the trunk, which can be a real job to get out. You'll probably have a port-a-potti - check the rubber and plastic bits for decomposition. Everything else is pretty straightforward and right out of the "so you want to buy a boat" books.
its not that i am concerned about the heavy keel, its just more of a "what's the better option" kind of deal. Swing keels provide almost no stability when up. Shoal keels do. Shoal keels also have a ton more ballast (600-800# vs 1200-1400# typically) also if for some reason it drops completely you're screwed. If a centerboard drops off completely it is much less of a big deal.

#13 ·
If you have a choice, keep it on the bay and look for something in the 22'-25' range. Way more options to cruise to. The lower potomac is a better place to sail.

Check in with Dangerfield island sailing club DISC. They're in your area and will probably take you out on the upper potomac. It's narrow. Only about 1/2 of the water you can actually sail in, the other stuff is only 2' deep. Makes racing there a bit of a challenge.

There are a ton of options for boats in that size range. What's your price range, and will you be trailering it to different locations?

#17 ·
We have a 30 ft. Pearson 303 on the Potomac, sailing out of the Occoquan. The P303 draws just over 4', and I wouldn't want any more for this area. Rich has given you very good advice - if you plan to sail close to DC, you need a very shallow draft. If you come down our way (I think Rich is out of Quantico), the river really opens up, although it is still river sailing. I do suggest making sure you have a good engine, as we have a lot of windless days in the summer. My wife and I have debated moving to the Bay many times, but we always come back to the advantage of keeping the boat close to home. We live in DC and can make the boat in about 25 mins. without traffic. I don't know how firm you are on the marinas closer to the city, but you may want to check out prices at marinas near the mouth of the Occoquan. Our marina still has a few 30ft slips available, and they go for around $3000 per year, a little less now that the season has started. It may be a good tradeoff.

#19 ·
I sail a Precision 18 out of Washington Sailing Marina. The boat lives on the trailer with the mast up and it takes just a few minutes to launch it at the ramp and maybe 10 minutes extra to retrieve at the end of the day including washing down the hull and trailer. A friend who also sails a P18 says he has gone out every single weekend since April and he is even faster than me. Practice does make perfect. For that little bit trouble, dry sailing cuts slip fees in half and saves some on maintenance too (no bottom paint, barrier coat etc.)

It is possible to sail above the Wilson bridge with a shoal draft boat. The P18 draws 18 inches with the swingboard up. You need it down for beating upwind of course, but being able to cross the shoals on a reach or run significantly increases your options. The swingboard also works as a low tech depthsounder: when you feel the bottom just lift up and get out of there. The water is muddy this time of year. Yesterday we touched the bottom with the swingboard up and I could not see the bottom in less than 18 inches!

Precision, Montgomery, Starwind and Compac would be some of the other brands to look at.

#20 ·
It is possible to sail above the Wilson bridge with a shoal draft boat.
I took Auspicious way above the bridge (5'8") as do lots of deep draft boats. I've sailed into Alexandria and up Washington Channel. Good stuff. If you can stay under the bridge height you can sail up to Georgetown.

#23 · (Edited)
That is a little out of my price range honestly... my budget, realistically, is $3000 or less. My wife isn't exactly pumped to drop a bunch of money on a boat even though we could easily afford a $7000+ one. :(

I am glad you posted that though. The more boats I learn about that fit my needs the better, so that I can keep an eye out. Also, let's not forget I have only been sailing ONCE andI have yet to take any classes, so it might be a little while before I actually buy (unless there is a deal I can't pass up); I just like to have my ducks in a row.

#24 ·
Have fun looking for now, but until you're done with your classes at Belle Haven, you'd be best off renting a few times. Both BH and Washington Sailing Marina have Flying Scots for rent. If you don't mind getting a little wet, BH has Sunfishes and WSC has Aqua Fins - both a tight fit for two people, though. Renting will allow you to hone your skills a bit and make sure the family wants to do it before taking the plunge to buy.

#26 ·
stegosaurus,
I own the 1985 O'Day 222 that was kindly referred to and live less than a mile away from the Belle Haven marina. I would have sold it through George but they're no longer allowed to sell boats on the property; National Park rules or something.
Many, many people started sailing there just like you, I had a slip there and windsurfed and sailed O'Days and Catalinas and Flying Scots and paddled canoes, etc.... right there on the Potomac; I know the water.
The O'Day 222 is the perfect boat for the upper Potomac with the center board and kick up rudder, and believe me, you will run aground. Had a friend open up the stern on his Catalina 25 just north of the Wilson Bridge in the shallows.
PM me and let's talk, not just about my boat but what's best for you at this point. Owning a boat may or may not be best, and someone will buy mine in time.

#27 ·
Rythmdoctor's post on renting makes a lot of sense and I think you should continue to rent. If you can go out during the week, just wait for wind and run on down to the marina and rent a boat.
Boat slips, that's the problem. You will not find a place to keep a boat on the Upper Potomac. The only way to get a slip or a mooring is to buy a boat that comes with a slip. Fort Washington Marina is really pretty with floating docks and I liked it there for a several years.
I feel your excitement and all good things will come in time, and it will be better if you don't skip the steps: classes, rental then ownership (followed by divorce, AA and you living aboard with the spiders). Make sure your wife is happy with the process and all will be ok.

#28 ·
I used to sail my O'Day Daysailer out of the Washington Sailing Marina. Kept it on a trailer during the season (MUCH cheaper than keeping a boat in the water). In and out was very little trouble unless the ramp was crowded on the weekends with boardsailers. We could easily take it down to Alexandria and south of the WW bridge. Need to keep track of the tides -- at low tide, coming back into the ramp without an outboard can be tricky.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.