SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Wood, Diesel or propane bulkhead heating stove?

No experience with stainless.My guess is it discolors and warps.when it gets hot, doesn't transfer heat well, hard to cut shape or bend and even scraps cost.Mild steel cuts,welds and drills easily Occasional stove black make it look new. Nothing more annoying than a too small stove .What,OUT again? The door and venting hardest engineering so start there Fiber glass rope &tape and stove cement are available so you could even use,,, wait for it,,, stove bolts.I like fire glass doors and tight seal for airtight fit and a soap or other stone plate on top unless making morning coffee needs speed.I keep my eyes peeled at junk yard for iron or brass gee gaws. Example , brass wooden toilet seat hinge parts hold a 3/8 brass rod fiddle around the stove top .Put them on rod before bending Multi layered thin ss panel with cement board washers between bulkhead and hot dissipates heat and acts like hot air pump.( Part of stove?) Larger ss pipe centered on smoke pipe prevents melting rain gear ( open bottom and top)Special attention to deck fitting .I make mine in SS. two pipes and two rings Smaller and longer fits the stove pipe. Bigger holds the cooling water. Deep protects the interior deckhead. Big ring is deck flange. I have pressure hot water so I've not done this but if you plumb cold water in from a galley pump, hot could be directed to come out at sink Justa thought. Cement board (air space)and tiles are heat sink and lookin good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook