SailNet Community - View Single Post - A blue water sailer that can go in light winds
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012

Oregonian is on a distinguished road
Re: A blue water sailer that can go in light winds

Puddinglegs, I do not like to correct someone but I am going for accuracy here as many errors have already been made on this thread and this forum. Your opinion DOES matter to me. I appreciate your posting and your many responses to this forum.
My earlier post stated BOAT FOR BOAT performance during the light airs of that event. I do not concern myself with corrected performance. The documented tracks as shown on the internet and posted by the race committee clearly show the Westsail-32 out running all the boats mentioned (and others) during the most extreme light winds of the race.
The biggest regret of the race was when the Olson 34 passed, within sight, on the very last day. The Bozo at the helm of the Westsail allowed a nasty gybe to occur while talking to his wife on the computer. Yes, the wife was to blame. The last 600 miles were sailed with a big reef and a broken boom. The Olson 34 beat the Westsail 32 to Hawaii by one hour 12 minutes - after 17 days.
Another correction of an error made on this thread: regarding “that widely quoted Pacific race” This is the FACT; Yes the W-32 was the last boat to finish in the PHRF class. It was NOT the last boat to finish the race as there was an IOR class also. The last boat to finish that race was a C&C31. If a person is not comfortable naming a boat, as I am not, then it may simply be said that the 31’ fin keel boat was slower than the 32’ full keel boat in what was in fact a “light wind” year. (It was not light wind as we normally define it as it was actually over 8k most of the time)
Souljour2000. Thanks for that. Let me know if you’re ever in the area.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook