SailNet Community - View Single Post - Barnegat Light vessel lost
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Barnegat Light vessel lost

Dunno, Dave. The nooze story said the distress call was heard at 7:45AM, which would mean depending on wx and tide the inlet could be expecting heavy traffic and that would make any salvage/tow unfeasible. What if a tow breaks and the boat now goes IN the inlet? Not to mention the nooze unclearly said the boat sank--as if that was immediate.

"and get it into clamer protected waters " Thinking, that would involve a TOW of an unstable sinking vessel through an INLET with heavy traffic. Nothing could go wrong with that. Ahem.

The USCG and NJSP both generally want wrecks cleared and waters unobstructed, and if the owner doesn't do it promptly--they do it themselves and mail you the bill. I know this from the widow of an acquaintance who died near another NJ inlet. Well, his boat sank and he was lost, he was presumed dead.

So I'll stick with my guess, that their concern at that point was simply traffic and safety.

I know we're all cheap SOBs, but I can't help wondering, with the number of boats that hit breakwaters, why more of them aren't marked any better. Cost of one marker versus cost of one wreck...it's a no-brainer, bill it to the insurance companies and let them complain about it while they make money by not paying off total losses. (It isn't just the folks who screw up their own navigation who get hurt, their guests/crew are also victims here.)

Last edited by hellosailor; 06-06-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook