SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to secure a baby
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: How to secure a baby

When my daughter was just an infant we slung a hammock with foot and head end spreaders from an adjustable pole made from a cut-down swimming pool cleaning pole that extended between the mast and the aft salon bulkhead just above the table. The pole fit into chocks and could be locked in place. I did this to minimize the length of the suspenders to keep pendulum action to a minimum. Later, when she got a bit older, we hung a "Baby Bouncer" seat from the overhead with a length of shock cord to an eye-pad fastened to the deck below to limit swing. On deck, we had her in a car-seat lashed to the front bulk-head in the cockpit and she was quite happy with the arrangement.

When she was tired, or when the two of us were needed to maneuver that yacht, we put her in the V-Berth with a mesh screening across the head of the berth to disallow her to escape and pillows against the sides for padding when we tacked. With "colors" and toys she was alway quite happy with that arrangement. As she got older we'd always announce "tacking" in a loud voice and she'd scoot across the berth to the High--soon to become low-side of the berth. (Once I had to "crash tack" to avoid some moron on a jet ski and there was an audible thump from the V-berth followed by loud wailing. My wife blew below and soon emerged with a very unhappy little girl who crossly declared "You didn't say tacking Daddy. You're a very bad Daddy!")

Later she'd help "Otto" and me "drive the boat".

We do miss those daze...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hy Sailing--0001.jpg (65.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Hy Sailing--0002.jpg (47.0 KB, 18 views)
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook