SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to secure a baby
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012
Total Sailing Novice

Brigala is on a distinguished road
Re: How to secure a baby

Now you all have me trying to think of a way to make a protective, floating seat for use as a child restraint on a boat. LOL.

I did not mean to "step in it" with my very first post on the forum. I'm sorry about that!

I, too, have concerns about the way sailboats move and children banging around inside them. At this point my youngest child is only just under two, and won't be out on the water until at least next summer (not taking her on a sailboat at ALL until we have some real sailing experience, and we haven't even bought our boat yet). Hopefully by age three she'll be able to sit in a well-padded V-berth when conditions warrant protecting her from the boat's movement. I hadn't really thought before about how to keep an infant safe on a sailboat since I've only taken infants on other types of boats where the primary concern was floatation.

A hammock is the only thing I can think of for an infant but that requires you to have an appropriate place to hang it so I can see how it wouldn't be a solution for every boat. At this point I think you all have me convinced (unintentionally I'm sure) that, personally, a sailboat is no place for my infant (which is no big concern for me since I don't have an infant at the moment).

Clearly what is needed is some kind of protective bed or restraint system that is buoyant. Although some of the lighter-weight car seats probably would float without a baby in them, I am pretty sure they'd all go down like a rock once a child was strapped into them. I suspect maybe the Combi Coccoro might have enough foam in it to keep it on the surface, but it would almost definitely float with the baby's face down in the water and the back of the car seat up in the air. Which would be better than nothing I suppose if rescue was immediate but in any kind of emergency situation involving more than just "baby overboard" it would be pretty bad.

Looks like it's time to start thinking of floating baby restraint/protection systems. What would you all prefer? An inflatable system (so it could be stored easily without taking up space) or a system made out of foam which wouldn't require any set-up (ready to strap baby in at a moment's notice, no risk of getting a hole in it and making it worthless)? I already have some design ideas floating around in my head.
~*~ Complete and total newbie looking for a first boat ~*~ Advice Welcome ~*~ Miniature Sheep Farmer ~*~ Child Passenger Safety Technician ~*~ Will trade my knowledge of shepherding or car seats for your knowledge of sailing! Just ask!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~*~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook