SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for a Catalina 270 detailed review
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for a Catalina 270 detailed review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
About the only thing I can find is this review. I'm unsure how far I would trust a review on a site that's built to talk about that very boat, but something is better than nothing!

While you are deciding, don't throw out an alternative due to asking price. The NADA used boat pricing guide can give you a ballpark for what a reasonable asking price should be, but that isn't the price dealers will list. According to NADA a 1995 Catalina 270 without spinnaker but with the usual equipment should have an average retail price around $22K while a 1995 30MkIII should have an average retail listing of $32K. In this market you should be able to get well below these numbers in negotiations, especially if you are dealing with an owner rather than a broker.

One final bit of advice ... there is no substitute for personal experience. Find a possibility and at least take a test sail. Better yet, try it out overnight if they'll let you. And never buy without a survey -- you'll get a much better idea of the condition and it can give you leverage to lower the price when they find something that needs fixing.

Regards,

Tom
Thank you...I actually looked at a 1980 Hughes 31...really nice boat.

Hughes 31 sailboat - Kingston Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Kingston Canada.

Is a Hughes what you sail?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook