SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
NathanaŽl G. Herreshoff: Fin keel boat and cats

One of my last posts if not the last of this season and I want it to be special and what can be more special that the most innovative architect ever : NathanaŽl Herreshoff

I hope the guys from voile and voilers don’t mind that I post here some of their images, after all I am sending you guys to their pages and their very good articles, one about Herreshof, other about the first cat designs and boy, they are not only innovative but beautiful.

First Herreshof: Look at this baby, Dilemna, 11,58m, 1891, Fin keel and a bulb with a ruder well on the stern.

And even more incredible, his cat, a modern cat if we discount the rig: John Gilpin, 9.75m, 1877.

of course, they kick out this one from racing. Forbidden boat. Too fast and too modern

You can read a very good article here about Herreshoff , on voile and voiliers:
NathanaŽl G. Herreshoff, le plus grand architecte naval de tous les temps - Annonce bateaux - Annonces bateaux - Occasion Bateaux - Occasion Voiliers - Occasion voiles

But the surprises don’t finish here. Just look at these not so well known designs:

Dominion, 10,83m 1898 designed by Herrick Duggan

Hades, trimaran, 16,75m, 1902, designed by Crowninshield

And a cat with a rigid sail designed by Lewis Herreshoff back in 1948.

You can read a great article here on Voile and Voiliers, the one from where this images were taken:
L

Also here a very interesting one about the Polynesian Proas and cats:
L

Well, use the Google translator and have a good read. Certainly these are interesting articles.

Last edited by PCP; 06-08-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook