SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard Commuting to D.C.
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012

sailor wench is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard Commuting to D.C.

There is White Point Marina, which is 10 miles up the Potomac, on the VA side, in the Yeocomico River, which is very reasonably priced for this area. (804)472-2977. There is also Point Lookout marina(301)872-5000, 8.5 miles up the Potomac @ Smith Creek. It is also very reasonable for the area. It allows liveaboards year around @ a rate of $10/ft, metered electric, and no liveaboard fee, according to "skipper Bob's marina guide". Near the Solomon's Island area, up the Paxuxent, 4.5 miles to Back Creek, there is Zahniser's Yachting Center (410)326-2166. It has moorings for $40/month, allows liveaboards all year, but is $20/ft. and has a live aboard fee of $90 ( I think applies only to slips; not moorings). These marinas are about as close as you can get to D.C. without paying $700/month or much more for a slip. You would need a car or adequate mass transit, of course, to get to work.
I'm a live aboard also and have been pricing slips in the Annapolis area myself and haven't found anything less than $600/month and I'm a monohull. I wish you luck....I have the names of many more marinas that are closer, but have no idea what they cost. However, I can send you the info. and you could call. Some places are negotiating prices because they have more empty slips this year than usual. However, Annapolis seemed to escape the recession and nothing is discounted. I heard it had a more dramatic effect on D.C., so they may be more willing to work with you on pricing. Let me know if you want the info. I hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook