SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF antenna issues?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012
Large Member

GMFL is on a distinguished road
VHF antenna issues?

So, I had a new mast-top antenna installed a few months ago during a re-rig. Had the cable ran (run?) to the base of mast. Installed coax from mast base to the VHF. Then hooked to a "new" Standard Horizon radio.

I can receive from STRONG signals (CG comes in fine, a handheld close by too) Signals from vessels using (I'm guessing) fixed mount radios are not received although they come in fine on the handheld.

SO, the question, WTF is wrong? I'm thinking (OK... hoping) the antenna is fine, the cable from the ant to the radio should be fine ( I did bypass that coax and connected straight to the coax from the mast base, same result)

Could it just be the radio? It was given to me "new" in its box but is several years old. Don't know its origins.

She is about 6 hours away, so not easy for me to diagnose. I, stupidly, didn't try to transmit a radio check to see if it TX's fine.

I guess my first thought is to install a new radio (SH GX1700 looks good) although I really don't want to buy a new $200 radio if it's the antenna that I need.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook