SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking to buy a 1969 columbia 36 footer
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012

mjpublic is on a distinguished road
looking to buy a 1969 columbia 36 footer

Hi,

I just found a Columbia 36 1969 sailboat on craigslist. I already gone to the boat and talked with the owner, who is mechanic at marina its moored at.

Its priced at 5500 dollars. Overall it seems to be in good shape for its age, though it is what I call a fixer upper. Rigging is in good shape, along with sails. Nav lights need replacement but thats no big deal. The Diesel engine was just refurbished but needs fuel lines put in. The bottom of the Hull needs to be repainted. This seems to be the biggest thing that needs to be done, there is some paint left but I see fiberglass. If I buy this boat I plan to paint the bottom myself. I do have a lot of experience in painting boats, including painting hull of largest USA submarine. That said, if I buy the boat any recommendations on good paint to buy, I want to repaint it navy blue?

The insides seem to be in good shape, electrical works, though i probably would want to update some of the wiring to support a TV and fridge. Also start work on putting in solar/wind system.

Last, I forgot to ask the seller this question but does this have marine sanitation device or sewage holding tank. I believe it doesnt and I know many states require such. If this doesnt have one how hard is it to put one in?

Last I totally understand this is variable on sailors experience and overall condition, but how does this boat design handle in open ocean say sailing Across pacific to places like say Hawaii or Tahiti?

Thanks

Michael

PS feel free to email me at mjpublic@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook