SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012

phoenix02 is on a distinguished road
Re: Venture 17 restoration

Not sure what year my 17 is but my keel pivot is held in by an aluminum block contraption bracket and I can't figure it out. The keel fell off the pivot and now I'm trying to remove the brackets from the boat. I snapped one bolt off already and one was missing. Now I have one of the brackets out so I can see some of the components. I'm going to a shop to try their impact on the other bracket. 3/4" bolt head so it's pretty stout.

Anyway, what fell out so far on my driveway is a cracked brass bushing with a cotter pin thru the middle of it and an aluminum rod that slips inside the brass bushing. The cotter pin stops the aluminum rod at half engagement. I havent looked up into keel box to see what else there is to the pivot. I suspect that there is another brass bushing for the other side that may have fell out into the water when the keel popped loose.

Anyone know what this assembly is supposed to look like? I'm a machine designer and can't understand how it works. Are parts still available anywhere?

I have a pic but haven't learned how to post it yet. I thought I'd post this pic-less in case someone else knows about this pivot arrangement. I'll post the pic later.

Last edited by phoenix02; 06-09-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook