SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking to buy a 1969 columbia 36 footer
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Re: looking to buy a 1969 columbia 36 footer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
We bought a 1969 Columbia 36 two years ago and have done an extensive refit to make her ready for the southern Pacific.

Ours had an original Wilcox toilet that was plumed directly over the side, as was typical for this time. Ours was almost completely stock - no one had screwed her up yet. She also had a new Yanmar 30, so she was a great platform for what we wanted to do.

The 36 was a Crealock design and was really fast. The problem with all Columbias back then was that they were more of a poor man's sailboat. You got a LOT of bang for your buck, but not a lot of teak or amenities. We've cut storage and cabinet space where there was none to solve some of the storage issues, and a lot more. There is a complete list of what we've done thus far, on my blog.
I see it differently..I think that Columbia in those days..invested in a lead mine or two somewhere instead of a teak plantation..God knows there's enough topside teak with the cockpit coamings and toe-rails though.There's enough teak trim around ever fixture inside the cabin to pull off the "Herreschoff-look" while still alllowing many of their boats to have huge sea-comfort and small anti-capsize numbers even in the shoal draft categories due to the lesser weight above waterline......putting 6-8 k of lead into 100 lb packages and glassing them in individually into a keel matrix is alot harder than bolting on a big heavy Iron keel and glassing over the bolt heads...so they spent some man-hours where it counts. My '66 C-40 probably has the cubic foot room of a 70's-90's 34-36-footer...she's very nimble for her 18,000 gross.....Non-bluewater features of my boat IMHO are the keel-stepped mast and big salon windows....as well as sub-standard hatches...I plan to deal with the hatches and salon windows... and according to some...the keel-stepped mast...but that'
s a toss up...some like ;'em to break away when they break... will have to just be...if original it seems to be holding up great...

Last edited by souljour2000; 09-19-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook