SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please help me compare these cruising boats.
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012

sailnoob is on a distinguished road
Please help me compare these cruising boats.

Hello,

I'm beginning to look into purchasing a sailboat for cruising. I am in the SF Bay Area, so that is where most of the cruising will be done for now. I am in no rush to buy before I've done my homework, nor am I in a rush to get out into the blue water before I've done my homework, but that is an eventual goal. The most likely uses for this boat will be weekending and potential liveaboard for some time. I'm not really interested in racing, but nevertheless assuming a list of cruisers deemed seakindly, I'd give up a few creature comforts or features for a bit more responsiveness and performance. I'm looking at mainly older models, between 30 and 38 feet, since that's what I can swing right now. I will get a professional survey before purchasing, etc. Please assume that the condition of the boats below are all sufficient when making your assessments.

All of that said, here's my working list, based on a list some of you may have seen, and I'd appreciate input from anyone with experience with these boats. Mainly I'm looking for strong opinions. Any that you love? Any that you'd never sail/own again? Thanks.

Allied, Princess 36,
Bristol, 35.5 (centerboard or not)
C&C, Landfall 35
Cape Dory, 33
CSY, 37
Endeavour, 37 (I've heard some gripes about this one on the forums)
Morgan, 382,383,384
Pacific Seacraft, 31 (A bit pricey for similar specs as the others)
S2, 11.0
Valiant, 32
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook