SailNet Community - View Single Post - Possible alternative to Reflectix?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Possible alternative to Reflectix?

The 2 layers is to protect the middle reflective layer somewhat, the acoustic foam has a durable "skin" on it, also a reason I am looking to it instead of some other foams and should be ok so long as protected from major scratches etc, but easy to clean with a sponge. Then either building a strip ceiling(hard, I have to glass in the vertical parts as I haven't got any).
Also because in some areas I can get away with the thickness, others I cannot so it makes it easier to just have 1 type of foam(assuming I need only 1 roll).
I wonder if there would be a big benefit to having the reflective material as the inner layer, since it would reflect any radiant heat before it warmed the insulation, slowing the thermal transfer more than if it were in the middle. I am trying to figure out how to test that, perhaps some samples and a heater, or maybe I need to create a box. Not really sure how, but I think it could make a big difference.

If radiant heat hits the foam, and is conducted(but no longer radiant) through the foam, the middle layer is questionable at best and an inside layer would be much better. I know for camping pads, mylar top vs mylar middle does make a big difference.
I'd love to see how you do it someday soon, I'm de-molding and washing my reflectix for re-use. One area they used it in and shouldn't have was over the bolts that hold the deck to the hull. How hard is it to re-do these bolts(pull out, seal with butyl tape replace or put back). It'd give me peace of mind to know there's no crevice corrosion on them, and stop any water entry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook