SailNet Community - View Single Post - Possible alternative to Reflectix?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Possible alternative to Reflectix?

I was just thinking about all the bolts in it, should I pull them and re-bed, they seem to go right through and some have a bit of rusty looking discoloration underneath. Figured better safe than sorry is to pull them and clean and put back in. Radiant works both ways for sure, but it's heat out that I'm more worried about, so I'm not sure how it would benefit me on the hull side, other than if some radiant heat would pass right through the foam, and reflecting it back would help. After reading a bit more about the different types of heat transfer I think a reflective layer as the innermost layer makes the most sense, as it prevents radiant heat from hitting the foam as much as possible, rather than the inner layer of foam warming up, then reflecting the radiant heat back that passed through it. Perhaps I should put it outside too. I wonder though if it just touching foam(which would be warmed by the radiant heat, and therefore allow heat to conduct right through) is why it needs a complete air gap on one side.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook