SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is she bluewater? Interesting story to help with these questions.
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is she bluewater? Interesting story to help with these questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
I owned a Hunter 27 and took it to the Bahamas twice. The list of problems is too long to get into here. The main problem was a rubber coupling between the propeller shaft and the engine. The rubber was just glued to two pieces of metal on either side. The lag bolted engine mount - that's right lag bolted into the fiberglass not through bolted with backing plates and nuts - came loose, the engine was out of line with the shaft and the coupling broke. This was many years ago and Hunter has since corrected this, but it is symptomatic of the way the boat was put together. Many things happened on those trips: the head failed, the radio stopped working, problems with the manual water pump and so on.

Then in the 90's I did a Hunter delivery of a 40 footer. We got into a storm just outside Beaufort heading north from Florida. The engine stopped in the rough seas (we were headed in to Beaufort and the wind was right on the nose). That was the end of the engine and it wasn't algae in the filters. We checked. Water was coming over the bow and soaked the cockpit. Water got into the installed instruments and took them out along with most of the onboard electronics. Water penetrated down below even though the hatches were secured. Other things happened to the interior, but I don't want to get into it in an open forum.

I had another Hunter delivery after that one but I turned it down.

I consider Hunter and Catalina in the same class of boats. I delivered a couple of Catalina's with no problems, but the conditions were near perfect. Still, perhaps it was wrong to criticize Catalina the way I did with no personal knowledge of critical failures. So, I take back what I said about Catalinas and defer to what Chuck53 said, "hey I've got a Catalina and I totally agree."
That is a Hunter. Catalina, Benteau, and Jeauneau are completely different manufacturers. I will tell you that the 380 and 400's are very well built boats and I am very comfortable with them offshore, even in storms. I have pics...

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook