SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is she bluewater? Interesting story to help with these questions.
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Is she bluewater? Interesting story to help with these questions.

In a singlehanded race from Frisco to Hawaii, a Seattle boat, which had been lived aboard for the winter, won. While the California boats , which had not been lived aboard in any winter rainstorms, leaked like sieves, the Seattle sailor was warm and dry the whole way. Living aboard in Seattle had given him the opportunity to find and cure any leaks he found.
When I asked a friend I met in Mexico who was cruising in a Catalina 36 , if he planned to cross the Pacific , he said "No way. I've seen what more experienced offshore cruisers cruise in, and there is no way I would consider a Catalina to be up to the job."
With the Fukashima debris field out there, I wouldn't consider going across the Pacific in any boat which was not made of metal. I have zero deck or hatch leaks. What he encountered would have been zero boat problems for my boats.
Another lesson from this story is "keep it simple" It was the complexity of his wheel steering system, water tank arrangement, hatches, etc etc which gave him his technical problems.
Albergs can be drastically improved, by taking the rudder off the keel , and putting a vertical rudder at the aft end of the waterline, on a good strong skeg, at the back of the boat, where it belongs. A friend who circumnavigated on an Alberg 37,said he sure wished he had done that, before his circumnavigation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook