SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is she bluewater? Interesting story to help with these questions.
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Is she bluewater? Interesting story to help with these questions.

Getting the jib sheet caught under the forward hatch is something for which I have to be alert. I suspect this must be true on many boats. From the description of the comfort level/kind of thrashing they were taking, it seems that possibly this boat does not have a high rating in that respect. It is not only physical comfort of sailors that is important but the shock loads on everything when a boat pounds. Planning how to secure water entry points is a lesson here and one I'll think about. Hatches and vents are the main concerns. I have a couple of small mushroom vents and the head vent that are not really 100% unsealable. Being up high, I've never had solid water flowing over them but if this happened, they would surely let water in although they are designed to drain. It's no fun having everything soaked with salt water.

So before green water starts breaking over the deck, among other things: 1. plug dorade scuppers, close portholes tight, boards in companionway, if not necessary, stow anchor below and plug anchor hawser chain hole, close and double latch lazarettes, cinch down hatches, have emergency hatch plugs available and ready, check that all deck scuppers are clear. Weatherstripping the considerable length of the combined perimeter of all hatches is not a difficult thing to do and can deny many gallons of water entry to the bilge.