SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crossing the gulf and things you forgot to bring aboard
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road
Re: Crossing the gulf and things you forgot to bring aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Guero-
"We were on our last tank of water and it was full, we had just switched. "
If I may suggest, when you have at least two tanks of anything, the safest way to use them is to use only 1/2 of the first tank, then switch to #2. Now you use #2 up, but you've still got half of the first tank in reserve--instead of having one tank empty and zero reserve.

There are lots of oil platforms and other often unlit obstructions in parts of the Gulf, so you may want the night watch to keep especially alert, and of course to use sunglasses during the day in order to improve night vision.
Excellent suggesiton about switching water tanks. We had 3. (port, starboard, aft).

We had 2 radars, one at nav station and one at helm, so night navigation was fairly safe and always had two people in cockpit during night shifts, always used sunglasses during the day.

All went well, except for this small water incident. We could have refilled water near holbox next day but decided just to go home as quick as we could.

The hunter handled the fairly rough weather pretty well, was fast with the proper reefs and was very dry inside. I quite enjoyed "on-the-fly" main reefing (main is roller) and I'm quite happy with the performance compromise for the ease of handling. Was comfortable overall, if not for that water issue caused by human error.
Sold: 1982 Catalina 25 (Polaris)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook