SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel cook stoves and heaters - teach me the basics!
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Diesel cook stoves and heaters - teach me the basics!

All the kero, home, marine, truck and aviation oils, are going to burn about the same rate,140,000 btuh Most stoves, heaters and even kerosene lanterns use a generation type burner. You've seen the same type of thing thing in coleman laterns. yes it works on gasoline too.. (scary also! ) The fuel has to be super heated to become a gas, If you have ever used a kerosene heater you are familiar with the glow the burner cage makes. That is what super heats the fuel so it burns so clean. kind of like an afterburner. You may see combination pressure and super heater type things in newer stoves. Soot will be common until your very able to start the burner with preheating per the mfg's directions.

problems surface very quickly as fuel oils are heated .. they leave residue in the generator, wicks turn to glass and loose the wicking ability, Diesel "smell" is a tip off somethings not burning right.

Diesel and kero stoves just because of the fuel, have to be cleaned often and properly.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook