SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel cook stoves and heaters - teach me the basics!
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Diesel cook stoves and heaters - teach me the basics!

I'm probably mixing terminology that may lead to some confusion. Our diesel appliance is a cabin heater, not a cooking stove. We've just always called it a stove, sorry about that.

For cooking, I've used alcohol, kerosene and propane stoves. I converted both my alcohol stoves to propane and we suffered the kerosene stove until I swapped it out with one of the converted alcohol to propane stoves. The kerosene stove we had scared the crap out of us a couple of times with big flare ups and we often had to clean soot off the headliner. It cooked faster than the alcohol stoves, but the wife went on strike after one particular flareup. They guys in the commercial fishing industry around here typically have diesel stove/ovens in their boats for cooking and for heating their boats. You can tell, they're the ones with the windows open during late fall fisheries.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook