SailNet Community - View Single Post - Difference between alcohol & kerosene stove?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012

SVTatia is on a distinguished road
Re: Difference between alcohol & kerosene stove?

Usail

I also lived with Kerosene on my previous boat for many years without any problems. A 20 liter jug lasted many months. Available anywhere there is an airport. I had a pressurized tank that needed pumping (bicycle pump) twice a week and filling once a month out of the jug. This is for everyday cooking. No soot, no flare ups, no smell and a tiny bit of alcohol to preheat on any weather. Never had to clean the burners. Had blue flame all the time.
The only problem I ever had was a bad purchase of dirty Kero from a fisherman supplier in the Azores, cause I was lazy to go to the airport - jet fuel is very clean kerosene.
I converted my stove from a Shipmate alcohol, but I bought a conversion kit which included the manifold and four burners (1 for the oven) from Force Ten out in Vancouver Canada, they used to make conversion kits.
I wish I had a picture of the manifold - I wonder if it was a basic distribution. The burners I bought were made by Patria, in Portugal and I found they are still sold here:
Patria 207 Regulating Burner Kerosene / Alc. (Portugal) [Patria Part #207K/207A] - $75.00 : A & H Enterprises, A & H Enterprises is the only North American service center for Optimus and Svea stoves.

At $75, pricey, but unlike the gas one, they last forever.

If you find a way to build the manifold, please let me know as I am also thinking about going back to kerosene.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook