SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stripping Bottom Paint
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006

SailinJay is on a distinguished road
Stripping Bottom Paint

Just got the latest issue of Practical Sailor and in it they review several paint strippers. Very informative and it got me to thinking.

I am hauling out in two weeks and am expecting to find that I need to paint the bottom, as the old (Trinidad SR) has been on for three years, with the third year entirely in the water.

I sanded and painted the boat in 2004. It only had two coats of paint. I did all the work myself. The sanding was a bitch. This time around I figured I'd have that work done by a contractor, but still do the painting myself. Now I read this article about the strippers, and it appears that it's not that difficult and would obviously be cheaper than hiring someone.

Does anyone have any experience using strippers? Is it as easy at it seems to be (from the PS article)? My marina uses full tarps so the environmental issue of catching all the stripped paint is covered. They talk about getting the paint off with a scraper. Am I correct in assuming that it's your standard garden variety paint scraper?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook