SailNet Community - View Single Post - Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Re: Typical procedure to copy title for Harbormaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There are some states that are very aggressive at collecting sales/use tax on boats that might be registered elsewhere. I understand Massachusetts is one. Perhaps they require marinas to collect title and registration data to be forwarded. I've been told that marinas in Mass are required to report all vessels that stay longer than 2 weeks, but I can not confirm that is true.

However, again, I've never been asked for any of this. Only my insurance, occasionally.
We were sent a property tax bill on our boat because we stayed six weeks in Eureka, CA. We learned that, in California, if your boat is in a marina on January 1, the marina operator must report you to the tax authorities who will then come after you for Tax$$$. We managed to get out of it because we were able to prove that we are bona fide transients. Every state is different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook