SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hull & Deck Painting
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hull & Deck Painting

A word of warning before using Perfection. I painted my boat (deck and topsides) with Perfection 5 years ago. I also failed to properly prep the surface. I now have some areas where the paint has lifted off. To be specific, when I taped around my handrails before sanding (to avoid sanding the deck paint) a majority of the paint came off with the tape. I used Frog Tape, which holds better than the regular blue stuff. Now since the boat is out of the water to fix the large hole I put in the hull, I decided to repaint the deck.

Unfortunately since this is a paint adhesion problem, I can't just scuff it and repaint it. I have to strip it off. Interlux says no stripper will touch it that won't also eat the gel coat, so I'm told it will have to be sanded off. There is a lot of deck to sand on a 27 foot boat, especially when you have to remove ALL of the Perfection. Way too many nooks and crannies to have to hand sand.

Proper surface prep is key. Make sure you sand the whole deck with 80 grit, especially the smooth areas. The paint seems to have adhered fine to the non-skid areas. I spent a lot of time with Interlux 202 and bronze wool getting the non-skid clean. I didn't spend much time at all prepping the smooth areas. Now I'm paying for it.

I'm calling a blasting company tomorrow to see how much to soda blast it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook