SailNet Community - View Single Post - Eastern Long Island
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 06-15-2012
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Eastern Long Island

Probably thinking this is unusual coming from a Cheasapeake guy, but we travel to the LI Sound every year as well as points north up to Marthas Vineyard.

Making a circumnavigation of Shelter Island or visiting some of the beautiful anchorages/ towns there was one of our suprise discoveries a few years ago, and no trip now is without a visit to at least two places there

As mentioned Deering harbor is a great anchorage for Greenport a neat little town with good basic seafood restaurants. Also the town marinia is redone and a good stop for a slip

We have found anchorages in Hogneck Bay as well as Cuthogoue Harbor ( Little Peconic Bay) beautifuyl as well as serene, biut can be hot on stifing summer days

West Neck Haebor near Dickerson Creek is a noice wooded anchorage with good protection and then their is Sag Harbor. A very expensive place to say, but worth spending a few days. tremendous restaurants.. One of the best provisioning stores ( Schivones) . We have takinen a slip (4 a foot) and anchored outside the harbor ( tons of traffic) I would recommend anchoring in Smith Cove ( about a 20 minute dinghy ride ride for a great experience.

PM me if you want the names of some of the restyarants should you choose one or all of these places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Haleakala (Hawaiian for" House of the Sun")
C&C 35 MKIII Hull # 76
Parkville, Maryland
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome