SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sailing family + new (old) boat = OMG
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012

awahl is on a distinguished road
New sailing family + new (old) boat = OMG

Hello everyone,

I have been scouting the Sailnet threads for sometime and have found a host of valuable information here. Thank you all so much for your dedication- The intensity & passion exhibited here and in the sailing community in general is one of the things that attracted me to sailing in the first place.

We are a family with two high school age boys and a yellow lab. We're based in West Michigan and will be doing the bulk of our sailing on Muskegon Lake to start. We had no sail experience at all- so we took ASA 101 as a family last week and loved it!

We have been looking at boats for awhile...This weekend our offer was accepted on an Island Packet 31. The boat has everything we're looking for as newbies (and then some). Beefy, wide side decks, easy sail plan (subject to opinion I am sure)- wonderful interior/topside space, great storage, et al. It does needs some updating here and there but appears to have great bones and everything we need right now.

Our interests are learning (learning, learning), cruising, anchoring/camping, and generally enjoying the boat however we can (elbow grease included).
I like to think in about 10 years my wife and I will move this or another boat down to the South East and head to the islands... We'll see how that goes....

We are a bit freaked out by the thought of it all- the learning, expense, time & energy commitment, and feel like we're riding up to the top of the roller coaster right now- Still it's a great feeling and the anticipation is building. We have to get past the survey- still have to get the boat in ship-shape, and still have to really learn how to sail- but man are we excited!

If anyone has any thoughts, opinions, or encouragement to share- we're wide open....

Anyway- just wanted to say hello and thanks-
Hope to be a contributing member to the community someday.

Cheers to all!
Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook