SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 28 Backstay Adjuster Preferences
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012

Sundayflyer32 is on a distinguished road
Re: Islander 28 Backstay Adjuster Preferences

Hi Paul et all: Last year I bought a I-28 and have been doing a number of repairs. I still have to do the compression post as I ran out of time this spring. I noticed in these posts that there are other I-28s with the mast leaning forward and that is what I am seeing this spring. I am not sure if the forestay (North Sails roller furling gear) was cut too short but that is what it looks like to me. I see that Paul added a toggle to the forestay and was wondering how long it was as I have no more available lengthening adjustment on the forestay.

I will have to make adjustments to the split backstay either with a roller tensioner block and tackle or just get new split lower wires (shorter) made up so that I can take up any slack via the turnbuckle, created by a longer forestay.

How much length did you add to the forestay? It looks like it could be 6 or more inches to bring the mast to verticle (guesstimate only at this point).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook