SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Bend Local Knowledge?
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: Big Bend Local Knowledge?

Interesting, My first boat was on Lake Guntersville.
So, west to east
So, the Big Bend. At Carabelle, you gotta go to Dog Island. At the east end is Tysons Harbor where you anchor out in a well protected but shallow cove (yeah, yer gonna go aground, big deal).
Alligator Harbor to the east, difficult to get in, difficult to get out. Well protected though but no current marina.
Ocklocknee Bay, almost impossible to get in and out.
Panacea, very shallow but it has a marina.
Spring Creek up in far NW Apalachee Bay, really cool Old Florida but nearly impossible w/o going aground several times. Go ahead and do it. There is a dock where you can stay but no facilities except a bathroom.
Shell Point. Shallow channel, you will go aground. No facilities except at the Apalachee Bay Yacht Club.
St Marks, deep water with several choices of places to go. All facilities are about 5 miles upriver. There is a fair weather anchorage adjacent to the lighthouse boat ramp (just outside the turning basin) called Spanish Hole. There are numerous places going upriver to anchor. Both the St Marks and Wakulla Rivers are very nice.
Aucilla, NO WAY.
Keaton Beach, not if your draft is over 4'
Steinhatchee, deep water, a good place with two marinas last I checked or you can anchor in the river.
Horseshoe Beach, maybe, I have never been there.
Suwanee River, looks difficult but i have never tried it.
Cedar Key, You GOTTA go there, a cool place. Unfortunately, almost hostile to sailboats with no marinas you can get into. You will hit bottom at least twice going there. You anchor between the shore and Atsena Otie Key and dinghy in. Do not try the municipal dock as it is "difficult" for any boats and is meant for fishing. Sorry but no fuel easily available there.
Between Cedar Key and TArpon Springs, everyplace is hard to get into so I'd just do the 65 miles or so to Tarpon Springs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook