SailNet Community - View Single Post - Printing Charts on home plotter
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Re: Printing Charts on home plotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8kraft View Post
Something to think about with your home printed charts is that the ink you're putting down is water soluble and will run if it gets wet. I think that if my electronics go out I expect to be in the thick of it, so a book of charts for $100 is better than saving money on homeprinted runny ink charts.
I use The GIMP to copy and scale sections of NOAA products to make my on charts of harbors and rivers, complete with a transplanted compass rose and position rulers along the edges.

If you are printing with an ink jet, water soluble ink is a problem unless you are using certain picture printers. Color lasers do not, and are quite affordable these days if you are happy with 8.5" x 11" or 8.5" x 14" but 11" x 19". The start around $500.00 and have much lower printing costs per page so you recoup the extra cost over the lifetime of the printer. I use a Brother 9460CDN laser printer to print my charts either on letter or legal sized paper.

Tom

Sadly, larger format laser printers are still out of reach. When they drop below a boat buck I'm going to get one!

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook