SailNet Community - View Single Post - New sailing family + new (old) boat = OMG
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012

awahl is on a distinguished road
Re: New sailing family + new (old) boat = OMG

Thanks everyone for the tips, info, support and everything. I know we're not alone in our eagerness & do-it-now approach, but it's nice to hear from others in the same state of mind/expense management condition...

Sailingfool - I agree and we're going to do the ASA103 to do asap once we get the old gal in the water (and perhaps after a couple of weekends of practicing our tacking & jibing).

Stumble - Ditto on the reefing- we need to practice practice practice (in addition to MOB drills every time we go out, and some other stuff our very good instructor shared.

Re the survey itself- I spent time on the phone speaking with several very knowledgeable surveyors- now it's time to pick one. We're looking to do a full sea trial (with sails up)- As this is our first boat, and sails are expensive; let alone the rigging, we want to make sure we have a grasp on what we have and what we need to enjoy a solid operable boat this season (and/or if we need to re-negotiate....)

One question I have is- is it the sellers responsibility to rig the boat for sail in a sea trial? Right now the sails are in bags in the quarter berth, and the broker is telling me it's our responsibility to rig the sails...he even tried to tell me that we were responsible to get the batteries installed- I thought it was the seller (or his agents) responsibility to prepare the boat for survey so this does not seem right to me. I'm about to go off on a search for that info but if anyone cares to chime in please do.

thanks again for the thoughts & comments!

Andy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook