SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perfect yacht bike!
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Perfect yacht bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
I wouldn't go with that FWIW. Looks like a lightweight play bike, not good for transporting goods, no passenger possible. Gimmicks are great, but for a tender to a boat, I'd go reliable, well known and predicatable. Especially if travelling out of the country. Few things appeal to me less than the idea of arguing why a border guard should understand that my piece of paper makes a not originally road legal bike road legal in a language I don't speak well.

CT110 or Yamaha 125 would be my choice. or a light small 250 if you can afford the space/weight. Something with an actual dealer network, common parts and known reliably. If you really want to go lighter still, a 50CC 2 stroke scooter upgraded to 70CC scooter would work well as well. That FX strikes me as the worst of both worlds; The motorcycle equivalent to a jetski. I once upon a time considered a similar bike as a cool alternative, I thought, a GASGAS with a hotted up WR250F engine in it.
I am very grateful I didn't. Expensive and frequent servicing, constant demand for parts and hard to find. As a on boat motorbike I'd think toughness and reliability would be priorities.
I have a WR250R insetad, which shares little in common enginewise, tough, reasonably light, 42, 000 km valve service intervals(vs 300, not a typo, for the GasGas).

Something that is commonly known and predictable and tough would be better in my books.

EDIT: This is a rider I met along the road, I think he's in Albania in the picture. If he can ride this all over the world, you can use it as a tender reliably I think. Fuel injected, reliable, used as delivery bikes worldwide.
EDIT2; BL, I wouldn't want one of those on my boat! Can't take it on the road around here, and could get you in a lot of hot water just about anywhere.

$5 a day, dirt roads RTW on a 125cc Yamaha YBR - ADVrider
Obviously those are more substantial bikes but do any of them weigh 125 Lbs and fit in a typical dinghy? A Honda Cub weighs almost twice that (200 Lbs)
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 06-19-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook