SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marthas Vinyard
Thread: Marthas Vinyard
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Marthas Vinyard

I think you are smart to get as far East as possible on your first leg. You will be less fatigued and then subsequent legs will be shorter.

I would consider West Harbor at Fisher's Island for my first stop. Not as nice as Watch Hill, but easier to get in and out and a tad closer to you.

Then Block on the next leg. It will be crowded, but if you're there before the 4th, you will get a comfortable anchorage for sure. By the 4th, it will get ridiculous.

From there, Cutty and Menemsha are nearly the same distance. Do one on the way out and the other on the way back? Menemsha is probably a better place to hold up for a few days, weather dependent. Even though you have the right boat to get inside, it will be so crowded, you will still likely be outside. Not great if the weather boils.

Consider Vineyard Haven over Oaks Bluff, if you press on. VH is closer and there aren't many options at OB. If you can get there and inside the VH lagoon (read up on the bridge opening procedure), that is a perfect place for you to hold up for a few days.

Do you have a dinghy along to get to shore?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 06-19-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook