SailNet Community - View Single Post - whisker pole or spinnaker pole
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
whisker pole or spinnaker pole

O.K
so anybody that has been reading any of my post knows I am new to sailing. In fact this past weekend was my 3rd trip out as captain. So, that being sail I had some new challenges this weekend. I was told to ask even if I felt the question is dumb.
So the weather called 8 to 10 out of the north east with sunny skies. Moving to south east 8 to 10 by evening. They were off by a few, in fact we had very light air to say the least. on the way back we had a light puff from the stern most of the way. I tried to go wing on wing and did so with some success, however I think I could have set the pole to help the jib stay out. It kept wanting to luff and bunch up on the main. Here is the dumb question:
I have 2 poles one is mounted on the foredeck looks to be 3" in DIA with a jaw clip on both ends. The 2nd pole in mounted to the mast has its own vertical traveler and halyard. It looks to be telescopic in nature. Both are light. Which one is the Whisker pole and which one is the Spinnaker pole? And was this a good time to deploy it in downwind sailing wing on wing?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook