SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stripping Bottom Paint
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms
Before you commit to using an ablative over a modified epoxy, consider the following. You will not get superior anti fouling performance, you will be causing more harm to the environment and the paint will not stand up as well to in-water cleaning. Stay with Trinidad, IMHO.
The process I outlined of applying an ablative over a base coat of Trinidad is what Pettit suggested I do when I stripped my bottom and applied an epoxy barrier coat two years ago. I followed their advice and am pleased with the results. Additionally, I have used Pettit Ultima SR (and its predecessors) for years here in the Chesapeake with very good results. Depending on the conditions where you keep your boat, you may very well find you don't need to do very much in-water cleaning with ablatives. That has been my experience. A bonus is that you won't get a build-up of hard paint over the years that will require a messy stripping job.

My $.02 -- or does that make it $.04 now?

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook