SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking stern in, strong crosswind
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
Re: Docking stern in, strong crosswind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I have to do this very often.

Without warping in the approach is more dependent on propwalk than anything. That said you will be blowing down. There is no time to line up and back in. You have to align the boat on the fly, balancing the dynamics of windage and drift with rotation. Frankly I usually work to get the stern of the boat and the back ten feet or so stuffed in and then rotate from there with bursts of forward and after thrust, prop walk, and rudder. I can almost always get the boat centered in the slip that way without warps although sometimes rotating on a piling.

Warps make it easier but single-handed warps aren't generally going to happen unless you have everything set up ahead of time. Even then it can be rough.
Thanks for explaining the last bit, i was wondering since I'm singlehanding at least 75% of the time.

I'm lucky to be the last slip at the end by the "T" dock, so if the wind is that tough across, blowing me away from the long T dock into my neighboring slip, I can usually just tie up on the outside of the T and either walk the boat around the corner with 2 lines and pivot into my slip around my port bow piling, or if it's blowing hard, can have someone else (if they're there) do that while I steer around with some motor help -- and they have the lines to keep me from blowing downwind away from the T dock side.

This is a big logistical issue for me single handing and makes getting out of the slip (and in) the toughest part of sailing when the wind's 15+ from the SW (still trying to come up with the best arrangement of lines and cheek blocks on stanchion bases so I can singlehandedly keep the bow pulled into the dock/crosswind while trying to steer/drive the boat out of the slip.

Jon

Pearson 26 #1200
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook