SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Fuel Tank Leakage
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012

celestialsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Fuel Tank Leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandsailor View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for this thread, as I will be looking at a '74 Rasmus (35') this week, and so learning a little about the boat in advance is far better than knowing nothing. Any "heads up" you care to offer will be much appreciated. One thing I do wonder about is that it has a wood mast and boom which I assume are original. Also, it will need extensive engine work; a rebuild at least. My purpose in buying this boat or any other is to spend a year or more cruising the south Pacific and perhaps as far as Thailand from California. All things being equal, would a Rasmus 35' qualify for this type of voyaging?

Thanks for reading.

OS
I believe this is the boat I boat a year back which was in Berkeley and ended up on the hard in Alameda. There were many things wrong with her but it is all sorted out now. The engine had been run once a week or so while in the water, then allowed to sit. The carbon from the short unloaded runs expanded on the cylinder head from ambient moisture, preventing the crank from going past top-dead-center. Still, I rebuilt it anyways.
Maybe you know some history of the boat. I'd like to know...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook