SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice Sought for minimalist coastal navigation
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice Sought for minimalist coastal navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
I use OpenCPN for setting waypoints and then free program called "EasyGPS" (also free) that dumps the waypoints onto my 76, so I don't have to punch them in. That used to be a killer. So, I sit at home or work, set my waypoints (you will use routes once you see what OpenCPN can do) and then hook my 76 to computer at home or work, send the waypoints over using EasyGPS and then walk out the door to go sailing with only my 76s. Very nice and all I need. No computer on board. No chartplotter, other than the basic route screen on the 76, following a black line with no map on it. No PC on board. Works great. See you out there.
Greg
EasyGPS is great and it also easy to enter waypoints directly into the EasyGPS screen if you are not using OpenCPN or similar. But do make sure you are using the same degrees/minutes settings on EasyGPS and Garmin. My Garmin defaulted to hddd mm.mmm (which I prefer) while EasyGPS defaulted to hddd mm ss.s

I entered hddd mm.mmm waypoints into hddd mm ss.s fields and, once I realized, I had to change the setting in EasyGPS and then enter them all again (couldn't find an easy way to convert). I'm glad I decided to check them against the chart before I set out.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook