SailNet Community - View Single Post - Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Curiosity About These "Crew Wanted" Posts

I've been walk on crew and I've taken on walk on crew from internet postings though they were venues targeted closer to where I was sailing at the time.

As far as I know, my wife and I were considered "good crew" or at least they kept asking us back for a couple of years.

As an owner I took 3 unknown quantities on a 70 mile race last year to fill out a crew of 7. Two came with experience, one was a total newbie. The two experienced guys were outstanding and the newbie got scared after the sun went down, got seasick and was total dead weight. I don't fault him though, it was my bad judgement to choose him (friend of one of the other crew) over other experienced folks that responded.

I probably ruined that guy for sailing where he might have been a convert if I'd taken him for a day sail. In my defense, the last time the same guy asked me if his friend could come for sail he brought a stunning 6'2" girl from Finland that could be a model, and she turned out to be great crew on a four day jaunt around the Chesapeake.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook