SailNet Community - View Single Post - Virgin Mobile MiFi 2200 Prepaid Mobile Hotspot
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Mobile MiFi 2200 Prepaid Mobile Hotspot

I'm leaning toward getting the T-Mobile 4G hotspot instead. It appears that Virgin Mobile has raised their pay-as-you-go rates considerably, and the 2200 only does 3G. Virgin's 4G device from Novatel has gotten universally panned by users.

T-Mobile's 4G device has gotten very nice reviews from both magazines and users, and it looks like they have pretty good coverage in the area. Walmart has some special exclusive pay-as-you-go deals that last for 60 days, so I can pretty much cover the whole rest of the summer for $35 (as long as I don't stream video).

Now that I will have internet on the boat, I am learning more about grib data and also will make more use of Active Captain. I don't want the computer/Android tablet/Kindle/etc. to dominate our week, but having occasional access will hopefully make us better prepared to respond to our (and mother nature's) whims.

The UGRIB program is really, really cool! Hopefully it will come in handy for last-minute itinerary changes to respond to the wind predictions. OpenCPN also can overlay grib data, but it's pretty underwhelming. Any other suggestions for grib data management and display?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-20-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook