SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Re: Tips and tricks for getting rid of crab/lobster floats

Quote:
Just wondering if crabbers consider having their lines caught around props and cut the cost of doing business?
I know a lot of commercial crabbers here in Puget Sound. They do lose a lot of gear and it's not uncommon that they run over their own gear or the gear of a neighboring crabber. They typically grab their buoy and hook it in their power block and then just let the boat turn circles while they tail the line, sort crabs and re-bait the pots. No one is driving during this minute or two, the boat just circles which puts their neighbor's gear at risk. It's not uncommon to see a crabber lying on the swim step clearing a fouled prop. The commercial guys at least use a leaded line. The darn recreational guys will often use a floating line. That's just a hazard.

I carry a shorty wetsuit and snorkel gear on the boat in case I ever have to clear a line on my boat. I hope I never have to use it because the waters here are too cold to use a shorty comfortably, but I think I could do it if I had to. I never want to find out though.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.

Last edited by erps; 06-21-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook