SailNet Community - View Single Post - USCG 2011 Boating Statistics
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: USCG 2011 Boating Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
CC did you read the quote or just have a knee-jerk reaction to my intro?

Or is crappy driver licensing an argument of of some sort?
Not a knee jerk. The people that get the training and a license for boating are much like the people on Sailnet, they recognize that boating (power and sail) is different than most other recreational activities and put time and effort into learning how to do it safely so that its rewards can be enjoyed. Yet there are many (I want to say idiots, but wont) who look at a 14' ski boat with a 250 horsepower engine on it and think; "how hard can that be" and take off without a care in the world. Maybe there could be a training and licensing program that would get their attention and teach them the skills to be a safe, prudent and capable operator, but I doubt that any state authority would invest in such a program and most individuals would certainly rebel at paying for such a program. Can you imagine the uproar that would ensue if each state established an ASA style set of courses and required all boat operators to take them? While I support such an idea, it isn't going to happen and the best we will get is something that mirrors automobile licensing whcih obviously is not very effective.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook